Wednesday, April 6, 2011

If Theres No Football in the Fall, What Will You Do?



Sports Illustrated recently took a poll asking fans what they would do if football doesnt return for the 2011 season. The results found that nearly half of NFL fans say they'll be less interested in the sport if games are canceled and over 60 percent say they would still watch games if replacement players are used. If there is no football at all fans said they would spend the time watching other televised sports, non-sports realted TV, and spending more time doing yard/ house work. What the polls really show are that fans understand that there may not be any football this fall and their world isn't going to end. The NFL may think that that isnt the case but these polls show otherwise. I'm really not the best person to be writing about this, since I rarely watch football when its on, but I know how popular the sport is and I was really kind of shocked that that many people would be kind of ok without it. TV networks have also been talking about what they are going to show in place of football on Sundays and I feel like they really over estimate the dependance people have on the sport. People watch football cause its on. If its not on, theyre not going to sit there on the coach and watch other programs for 4 hours straight. People survive the 7ish months that football isnt on. It would definitely be weird to not have it on, but the world isnt going to end.
So what will you do if theres no football in the fall? Would you still watch it if there are replacement players? Would it really effect you that much?

3 comments:

  1. I believe that if the NFL season is cancelled all together fans will lose interest. Alot of fans go to sporting events because they either have love for the sport or they are rewarding them selves with entertainment. Were the ones spending our hard earned money to attend games and buy jerseys and other apparel yet were the ones that have to suffer if the season is cancelled. The owners are being greedy and are still making their money regardless what happens. And I believe on that aspect alone fans will lose interest in the sport and will move on to other things. Me personally idk what I would do. I love the sport but feel that the lockout is unnecessary and can be avoided. I find it mindboggling that an organization that makes 9 billion dollars worth of revenue can't come to a decision on how to divide the revenue up. I guess I'll have just wait and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fans will still come back once the NFL and the players get their act together. The NFL is the new national pasttime. They might be a little disenfranchised immediately afterwards, but the bad feelings will go away as soon as they kick off. As for what the fans will do, well, there's enough on TV to please everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As much as NFL fans want to act tough about their reactions to a lockout, most of those saying they won't watch again aren't fooling anyone. You are getting so upset because you love the NFL, why wouldn't you continue to watch?

    ReplyDelete