Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Expanded MLB playoffs?




Commissioner Bud Selig wants to modernize the MLB playoffs by adding a best of three series for two wild card teams in both leagues. By doing this he hopes bring more interest into baseball especially when it comes to the playoffs. I can see where he's going with this idea, it allows more teams, six, to compete in the playoffs, bringing in six more fan markets. But I dont really think it would do much to bring more people into the sport or media attention. Baseball is long enough already at 162 games and adding those six more teams with their series just adds on to it longer. Plus the playoff system in baseball has been used for so long I dont see people adjusting to it very well. I mean sure adding more teams could increase attendance at games in those markets, but if fans aren't going to the games throughout the season, three extra games, no matter if they're sold out, won't really have that much of an impact overall. I feel like 162 games is enough to prove who the most deserving post season teams should be. Wild Card teams were already added to the 1994 playoffs in order to help the best teams that did not win their division make it to the playoffs. The way the baseball playoffs are now set up are as fair as they come, teams work 162 games to make it and if they dont then they dont, its been like this since forever and I dont see why a change needs to be made.

No comments:

Post a Comment