The Philadelphia Phillies have one more thing to add their list of postitives this season; their mascot in the most popular in sports. The Phillie Phanatic who recently celebrated his 34th birthday on Sunday, was voted the winner in a yearly survey conducted by The Marketing Arm's Daive Brown Index. They measure pro sports mascots on four key areas: awareness, appeal, entertainment value and team identification. Im not being biased or anything here but I really agree and have to say the Phanatic is the best. He rides around the outfeild on an atv, puts a hex on opposing pitchers and dresses up like Lady Gaga, theres nothing he wont do. Hes such a staple of the Philadelphia Phillies organization and has really set the bar for other mascots for other teams and even sports.
The complete list of the top 10 mascots are:
1. Phillies Phanatic
2. San Diego Chicken
3. Milwakee Brewer's Racing Sausages
4. New York Met's Mr. Met
5.Phoenix Suns' Gorilla
6. Washington Nationals' Racing Presidents
7. Chicago Bulls' Benny the Bull
8. Red Sox's Wally the Green Monster
9. Denver Nuggets' Rocky
10. Florida Marlins' Billy the Marlin
I think mascots play a huge entertainment role in games. They probably often drive attendence, merchandise and ticket sales and they make the game a great experience for young kids who may not remember their first baseball game or the score, but they'll probably remember the mascot making him or her a fan for life.
This is absolutely hilarious! What I am upset about is how is not the Pirate Parrot or Iceburg on this list!? Honestly, those two mascots got robbed of a spot!
ReplyDeleteI second this upsetting news. Not only the parrot, but THE PIEROGIES!! How does the Sausages make it, but not them. It is ridiculous! However, I do love the Phanatic so I am content with this decision.
ReplyDelete